Default Alarm Sound

Is there any way to change the default alarm sound for motion detection? It makes a loud beep noise right now to indicate motion detection. would like to change the volume or to another sound.

For the moment the sound on the client can only be set on/off in the Settings. The volume is set on the client computer. If you can run Netcam Studio X you can customize the sound using the Rule Manager.

Thank you. I am running the Netcam Studio X. I looked at the rule manager but the options seem limited or rather complicated for me to change the sound. I will have a look at the site to see how I can set this.

Thanks again.

Hi again! No, it is not complicated ;). To cancel the beep go to Settings → Client settings and uncheck Play sound … Check this link in the forum

Maybe you want something else, but try that.
-Henrik

Hello,
This Client Settings (Play sound) is working yet?
I tick the checkbox, but nothing happened when I generated a motion detect.
My client should make some noise or something, shouldn’t?

Hi,
Yes, it should, but it is very quiet. Have to check this.
Thanks,
Henrik

1 Like

I found, NCS produces a quiet biiip sound only if client is not minimized (1.9.1). Minimized NCS do not notify me. Is this right and intended or I missed something?

When you minimize the windows client it goes to sleep so no sound.

I have 4 cams, they consume 34Mbps ethernet bandwith, 11%CPU usage on client side.
When I minimize NCS client while it shows Sources panel, this network traffic and CPU usage is going on. Who is sleeping ? :slight_smile:

Because of this resource eating, I usually switch to Library panel and minimize the client after that. In this case there is no ethernet traffic, no significant CPU usage, but I miss my lovely beep.

Push notification is very unreliable, should I have a small speaker for my server?

Maybe it is feature request but I would like to propose that the server should wakeup the client if any movement detected. Hey client, there is a movement detected, wake up, beep and maximize to face of user!

An alternative is to make a Rule that RunApp at MD. RunApp can be a batfile or a media file.

But this method plays the media and makes sound on server machine, am I right?
My server is sitting in a dark corner of my house, far from me. I run the client program on my desk… that is used and watched everyday and every time, not the server.
I will figure out something…

Yes, if playing a media file it will only play on the server. But with a batch file you can do a lot. This is actually how to remote control another computer. In principal very interesting. Just did a search and got many solutions. Must test! Using PsExec.exe seems like a hot tip.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/732495c0-114c-4a1e-bbe1-5a7a3b84012d/execute-a-batch-file-on-a-remote-pc?forum=ITCG

Thank you for your tip!
I build a cmd file to execute an audio player on my desk PC.

• It is working as expected if I start it in server’s command line (client PC plays an mp3)
  • But nothing happens if I call that cmd file from NCS service. (but “executed” counter changed)
    To be investigate… I’ll come back if I found something

Meanwhile … I’m dreaming…

• Rule manager shows not only “Event type” but “Event type + source”
  • not only ActionType but Action + Destination or params… and…
  • Add/Edit rule window has an “Trigger now” button for testing…
    Just i’m dreaming :slight_smile:

Aha, NCS Service. That’s a restriction in Windows and is not allowed to start apps. However, test in Service to login to an Admin account. That allows network access. Test on NCS X.

Call a .bat file from NCS. It´s path must be completely specified from root.
Please, shsre the solution here since most likely more users are interested.

Ooops I missed “accepteula”…

play_sound.cmd is my working solution:

cd \netcam\alarm_sounds
psexec.exe -accepteula -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD \\<address of client> X:\Portable_Programs\audacious\bin\audacious.exe --headless --quit-after-play x:\communication-channel.mp3

The X: stuffs are on client side.
If you call this cmd from NCS service then you have to provide user+pass information.
If you miss -u -p, then Windows tries to use saved credential or asks for it. Neither of them is good for you.

psexec needs 15 sec but I don’t have better solution now.

If psexec says Access Denied, than you have to regedit on client side:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
“LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy”=dword:00000001

Excellent, thanks.
Now, how is this setup in NCS? Did you get it to work in NCS Service?

Yes, play_sound.cmd is called from NCS service.

Thanks, will test this. This will be an excellent “How to …” guide.
I will forward your dreams :slight_smile:
-Henrik