Migrate from WIN7/Webcam7 to WIN10/Netcamstudio

I have a Windows 7 desktop that is running Webcam7. I use it as a security system. My cameras are attached via a 4 port capture card (Bluecherry PV-149) that uses the WDM drivers. It has been working well for 7 years but has recently started crashing daily. It has me thinking it is a good time to upgrade the whole thing.

My needs are pretty simple. I can do all of these with Webcam7. Not sure if Netcamstudio can do these.

1. Monitor cameras for motion. When motion is detected, take a still shot and FTP it to a remote location
  2. Every hour, on each camera take a still shot and FTP it to a remote location.
  3. Ability to activate and deactivate motion detection on each camera based on a daily schedule.
  4. Date and time stamp each pic taken. No watermarks.
  5. When motion is detected, send an email to a specified address.

I’m thinking of a new desktop with Win10. Then an upgrade to Netcamstudio. Use my existing capture card.

Here are my questions:

1. Does this sound like a reasonable configuration?
  2. Does Netcamstudio support cameras via WDM input?
  3. Will Netcamstudio be able to do all the things I listed above?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Robert

Just looked at the specs on my capture card. It only runs 32 bit. Also, there is a chance it is the culprit in regards to crashing.

So… I’m going to replace the card too. Bluecherry has one that is PCI, 4 port and runs 64 bit. It says it uses the Windows Directshow drivers. Does Netcamstudio support that?

Here is a link to the card.
http://store.bluecherry.net/product/tw-100-4-port-video-capture-card-120fps-realtime-recording-windows-64bit-support/?v=f24485ae434a

I’m also very open to other alternatives for the capture card. I need 4 camera ports for analog cameras. No audio.

Hi Robert!
Moving to Netcam Studio is a good choice. However, they are quite different in design and structure so I would really recommend you to download NCS and test it. I work with IP and USB cans for NCS so I have actually no idea if that capture card will work. For that part I have to sent your request to our developers. For the rest I give it a try:

1. Monitor cameras for motion. When motion is detected, take a still shot and FTP it to a remote location
    *** Motion detection is a yes. In a Rule Manager you can when motion is detected capture and send to an FTP address.

2. Every hour, on each camera take a still shot and FTP it to a remote location.
    *** There is a timelaps function where this might be solved.

3. Ability to activate and deactivate motion detection on each camera based on a daily schedule.
    *** Yes. Resolution is 1h.

4. Date and time stamp each pic taken. No watermarks.
    *** This is controlled by the system and cannot be customized.

5. When motion is detected, send an email to a specified address.
    *** Yes. It is one email address for all cameras.

6. Does this sound like a reasonable configuration?
    *** Difficult to answer on since I do not know that application. You focus a lot on pictures. How about the videos?

7. Does Netcamstudio support cameras via WDM input?
    *** Question our developers have to answer.

8. Will Netcamstudio be able to do all the things I listed above?
    *** Read my answers above.

If NCS will do it exactly your way you have to download and test. Never considered to upgrade also the cams to IP cams?

-Henrik
@Steve

The security system only uses still photos since I am on satellite and am metered to 10GB per month. Video eats that allocation up real quick.

In regards to IP cameras, I would be open. I’m not that in love with the capture quality from what I have. Now I have spider cable running to each camera. There is 12v at each camera. Could IP cameras use that power source? Also, when I was putting this system together, IP cameras were a question since there was little security or encryption so it was easy for others to pick up the signal. That was seven years ago. I would expect that they have improved since then. Is there good security on them so nobody else can see what they are sending?

Hi Robert!
Now you are making me really curios. Not many locations that need to communicate over satellite.
The market of IP cameras have changed a lot just during the last six months I think. Cameras with megapixel sensors and good optics gives really good images even in the middle price range. They power supply is usually 12V and they consume around 5-7W depending on IR LEDS or not. Talking about security I assume you mean the wifi signal. Today they all use WEP2. However, since is assume you need high reliability I would go for cable connection over LAN. Wifi is fine, but not on top of my list for professional use. What is getting more popular today is PoE, Power over Ethernet. In the same LAN cable you also have the power supply for the cam. There are some limitations on the cable length that I do not have for the moment.

Microsoft’s Windows 7 was or still is one of their more stable systems. My feeling is that Windows 10 will also be there after using it for a couple of months.

-Henrik

Hi

I have read your post and I may have a suggestion for you. @Henrik asked about IP cams, well you may not have to upgrade the cams. You can get an encoder. I use this one: AXIS M7014 Video Encoder - Product support | Axis Communications

I have some optical cameras here on the plant and I am using an encoder to turn them to IP. The encoder streams to my netcam server via rtsp, however I have not had more than 1 camera on the unit so have not had a chance to see how the multiple cameras will work.

EDIT: Ok, got it working you need to use this string: rtsp://user:pass@IP:554/axis-media/media.amp?camera=1(to4)

HTH

Q