NCS and data downloads

Hi there, Im new to NCS and I think im missing the big picture, lol. I have a wireless ip cam, that has its own static ip address. It is viewable in netcam studio x. It is allocated the ip address of 192.168.1.213 with the port being 2130… If i have NCSX Open on the desktop, i notice that the monitoring program ‘netbalancer’ is showing that NCSX is dowloading data at the approx rate of 336kb sec, which it appears that my ISP is counting as downloaded data. What i can’t understand is why is this local traffic, (NCSX to router to local wirekess ip cam) being routed thru the internet? It says on the bottom, online @ http//127.0.0.1 :8100 which i understand is my local pc loopback address

You can easily see by running NCSX for 24hrs is going to subtract GB’s from my quota. I was assuming that the image from the ip cam is being sent to the router, of which NCSX knows where to look for it (configured static ip address) and internet was not involved at all as its all at a local level, hence no dowload charges…

I also notice that if NCSX is open on the desktop showing the live cam feed, data shows downloading 336kb/s as outlined above, but if u minimize NCSX to the task bar, the data download instantly drops down to 0kb/s. Should this happen?

I ask this because If you have the camera scheduled, and motion detect set up, but NCSX is minimised on the task bar, will it still start at the sched time and do motion detect, or does it have to be open on the desktop?

Many thanks,

Chris,
Perth, Western Australia

Hi Chris and welcome to NCS and the forum!

That is lot of relevant observations! For me you seems more like a pro :slight_smile:
Just some things here. Your computer and IPcamera are on the same LAN. When NCSX is running and you can view the video you have a download speed of 338kb/s which for me is very low since it is on the LAN. What type of video is it? HD, VGA or …? What FPS do you get? Look at the bottom right corner of the video.
The 127.0.xxxx is the local pc loopback address and you can put your computer IP ther instead like 192.168.1.x:8100
Everything NCS do is on the LAN and nothing is going out on the Internet.

"I also notice that if NCSX is open on the desktop showing the live cam feed, data shows downloading 336kb/s as outlined above, but if u minimize NCSX to the task bar, the data download instantly drops down to 0kb/s. Should this happen?!
– That is correct. When you have NCSX open the video is streaming and you should see that on the speed. When you minimize NCSX the videos go to idle after some time and the speed goes to zero IF motion detection or recording is OFF! IF the camera is on motion detection or recording the speed should continue to be there.

There are something else going on here. This program netbalance is something that is provided by your ISP?
A better way is to use windows Task Manager and tab Processes or Performance. There you have control over how NCSX works and also the network speed to and from your computer measured on the network card. Use the TM and do the same as earlier and you will most likely have a higher speed when you look at the camera and also still have a speed when you minimize NCSX when you have motion detection or recording is ON.

In the Task Manager tab Processes you can see that NCSX is working either on the desktop or minimized.

Since this traffic is all on the LAN you should have no traffic to/from the Internet. When I have NCSX running with cameras shown I have traffic on both in and out from the computer to the LAN. When I minimize it goes quickly down to zero since MD and R is OFF.

Question is what the Netbalance measure? Can yous see in the program between which IP addresses this traffic occurs?

Good luck and please report back how it goes.
-Henrik

Hi Henrik and thanks for your lengthy reply :slight_smile: . I am going to do some testing, and have added an hd cam, so will wait till tomorrow am off peak, and take some screenies as well and post here. Thanks Chris

Thanks Henrik, just an update. Its all sorted now, Netbalancer was looking at both cameras thruput. (in the download column) which threw me a bit I did have a concurrent download happening as well that I didnt factor in.It was that that was hiking the downloaded data from my ISP Thanks for the useful info on the Processes tho, Cheers chris

Excellent. Then we are all happy!
-Henrik