Server Hardware Requirements?

Sure :smiley:

Somebody will have a look at your cameras on monday to try to figure out what addresses to use to get JPEG or MJPEG.

Out of curiosity, can you please run again novabench ? It should be much better on this new server.

I’m recording my way to install software, please wait a moment.

Check for me was wrong somewhere.

Thanks.

NovaBench Score: 884
4/15/2016 5:20:07 PM
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Intel Xeon E31220 v5 3.00GHz @ 3001 MHz
Graphics Card: Matrox G200eR

32471 MB System RAM (Score: 310)

• RAM Speed: 18375 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 550)

• Floating Point Operations/Second: 102697712
  • Integer Operations/Second: 574962408
  • MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1361141

Graphics Tests (Score: 0)

• 3D Frames Per Second: 0

Hardware Tests (Score: 24)

• Primary Partition Capacity: 78 GB
  • Drive Write Speed: 254 MB/s

Well it’s not 2 cameras, it’s 20 cameras, 20 of them using RTSP and Motion Detection / Recording.

So yes here it’s understandable. Moving to JPEG / MJPEG is the first step that will help.

Then changing recording settings to 4FPS / Ultrafast will also help and finally the motion detection also should be modified so that the interval between frames is a bit more important (if you target anyway 4FPS, set it to 500ms or 1s).

Because right now and using RTSP it will try to achieve 25fps, motion detection is probably still set to 100ms as well and recording also trying to achieve 25fps.

On my camera. I need to configure on the NCS again?

Ha ha, thanks for the excellent video!! It is a big difference between 2 and 20! You must be nice to your server! We must do several changes both in NCS and in the configuration of the cameras. I am with good hope to make this work. Maybe not with all 64 cameras on this server. We do this in small steps and see what happens. Admin gave good advise above for changes. I summarize below.
Moving from rtsp to MJPEG. I have the manual for the camera so I show you what to do.

First you can do some things in NCS as admin mention above and see what happens.
0. First. Do the same as you did in the video and enable Motion Detection, BUT only on the first 5 cams. What is the CPU load?

1. In NCS go to Settings and Recordings. Set Preset to Ultrafast. Set Images per second to 4 FPS. These settings are now valid for the whole NCS system, alla cameras.
  2. The following you must do on each cam. Do this on the first 5 cams and see if it is any difference from earlier. On each cam go to Configure Feature. Click on Motion detection in the menu. Set Fram Interval to 1000 milliseconds. Save.
  3. To be safe, restart NCS. Check that the changes are there.
  4. Start the Motion detection on the first 5 cams and see if there is any change in CPU load. I hope it is. Go back to step 2 and do the changes for some more cams and see how the CPU load changes. Do NOT overload the server!

Finally, go into the configuration of the camera and to the Resolution. Do you really need the high resolution of 1920x1080. I do not know your application, but test to lower the resolution and see how the video is. Maybe it is fine with a lower resolution?

The big step will be to go from rtsp to mjpeg. We do changes in the cameras and in NCS. I will be back with that.
-Henrik

Next part is to go from rtsp to mjpeg.

In the camera change in the settings below (see picture):

1. To get mjpeg Stream Type must be set to Sub-stream.
  2. Resolution is maybe automatically lower now when it is mjpeg.
  3. Bitrate is often better to have as constant, but leave it at Variable for now.
  4. Frame Rate. I am not sure if it best to set it to 25 here or 4 FPS. You have to test.
  5. Max Bitrate can be much lower, but leave it for the moment.
  6. Video Encoding is set to MJPEG. That is possible now when Sub-stream is used.
  7. Save.

Next is to change in NCS.

According to Hikvision the ID is 2 or 102 to get the MJPEG stream.

If you put the URL directly in a browser you should get a login to the camera. The correct URL is always the tricky part.

When this works you can go back and start the Motions detection on more cameras and at the same time look at the CPU load.

Good luck and report back what happens :).
-Henrik

Thank. I’ll try at monday. Happy weekend.

Custom URL not run :frowning:

The black screen indicates for me that NCS connect to the camera, but it do not get a video stream. When you login to the camera and show the video it seems that you use Main stream. What happens if you click on Sub stream to the left?
Did you change Stream Type to Sub stream in the camera configuration and Video Encoding to MJPEG?

Sub stream of lower quality. My boss does not agree to this. :frowning:
You can connect my camera via the link provided.

OK, fine. Then we know that. Then it is back to rtsp and h.264 as you started with. Use 5-10 cams that do not overload the CPU and experiment with the settings in the camera and see how many cams you can have on that specific server to get the quality of video and motion detection that you can accept. Then it is to add more hardware.

1 Like

I could be wrong here, but I would think that the biggest CPU usage isn’t how many FPS your camera is sending out, but the frame interval that NCS has to monitor for motion detection.

If I understood what Steve posted, even though you’re only targeting 4 FPS for recording, if the frame interval is set to 500ms you’re still asking the CPU to compare the difference between each frame twice per second, which is a big load at 1080p.

From your video, it looks like turning on motion detection for each computer adds a linear amount of CPU load, which makes sense. So, as Henrik said, if you turn on motion for one cam and your CPU is at 10%, then you add a second cam and your CPU is at 20%, you can assume that 9 total is the most that server could handle.

But, as I said, I could be completely wrong lol

1 Like

Trying…
Thanks.