Service stops responding after a while after updating to 1.5.1

but I already don’t like this one:
De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld

aka object reference not set to an object.

Sorry for the non-english :slight_smile:

I’ve sent you a link with the logs.

thanks

Well I see really a lot of different errors and problems in there.

First of all the audio source of 1st camera (source 0). Do you use audio on this one ? couple of codec not found errors so probably anyway not working so in this case please disable audio.

The NCS has issues starting the LPR plugin. Are you using the license plate detection ?

As you already noticed the problems to connect to your nas. Wither to be solved or to disable.

Then it was a bit in a strange state and started to report timeouts on most video sources so i would first start with these 3 issues so that at least it can start / initialize properly.

Use Netcam Studio X first, you’ll have better visibility than with Service. Once things work ok, then go back to Service.

Hi Steve,

thanks for your input.

On camera with id 1, I had LPR enabled. I disabled it now. That same camera (I guess that is the one you mean with source 0) has an G711_ULAW audio preset enabled. It do has audio (Axis P1344). Not that I hear much, because that camera is in a housing. How can I disable audio in NCS?

I now also removed camera 2, which was broken since a while, and NCS couldn’t connect anyway.

I started as X now. I’ll let it run for a while and send the logs.

Thanks

Strange because g711 ulaw is a compatible codec so it shouldn’t return Codec not found when trying to connect audio from this camera.

Please post the camera connection screen here (add source wizzard) and if you can also connect the screen in VLC and a screen shot of the Media Information screen in VLC.

Apparently and after checking closer it seems that we do not have anymore the G711 codec in our ffmpeg distribution and this is probably the reason.

Looking forward to fix this asap.

I really have the feeling that it’s related to this audio over HTTP (which anyway doesn’t seem to work and I doubt worked before).

So first thing here, please disable the audio by removing the checkbox Audio over HTTP for all the cameras that do have it (apart if some do have audio working) and report back if from this point the software is stable.

I couldn’t replicate the problem here however i’m already one version further in term of ffmpeg so maybe that’s why.

Unfortunately my first guess of the missing g711 was wrong so it’s not this. Still have the feeling that it’s related to audio so disabling (anyway not working) audio on sources reporting these errors if the first thing to do until I come with an updated version at least to see if it brings back stability.

Hi Steve,

I have done the steps described earlier, and have done nothing with the audio. However it has not crashed since 2 days. I’ll switch back to the service now to see if that gives the same result.

So what are the steps you’ve done ?

Anyway if you have non-working audio on some sources better to disable it rather than having ncs trying in loop to reconnect it. It’s not good for the logs and may impact performances.

I still didn’t locate the root cause but will have an updated version soon which at least will log more relevant information in the parts i’m suspecting as responsible here.

I’ve unchecked “audio over http” on every one of my cameras. It crashed overnight last night, but it’s been up since 9AM (it’s after 4PM) now.

Hi,

so what I did:
On camera with id 1, I had LPR enabled. I disabled it…
Removed camera 2, which was broken since a while, and NCS couldn’t connect anyway.
I started X instead of service

So I didn’t touch the audio yet, but it runs smooth (with x).
I just ended x, and tried to start the service, but the service wont start anymore. I reverted to x, and will troubleshoot the service later.

Hmm, maybe these audio related errors which I saw occur when a source is broken / unreachable.

I’ll verify this theory. Do you remember what template was used for the broken / unreachable cameras? Was this one also a panasonic ?

The crash was after disabling all audio or before ?

Please provide corresponding log files as soon as it crashes (you can upload on wetransfer.com and send them by PM to me and @Henrik)

Turned on this morning. It crashed within a few hours. Here are the logs.

https://we.tl/J6IlqNlqHR

Should I go ahead and install 1.5.2 now or wait?

Yes please upgrade to 1.5.2 and try to replicate the problem with Netcam Studio X.

There is no reason that it would crash with Service and not with X and at least when it happens with X, it gives you the possibility to send a report in case it’s not handled by the software and would generate a crash.

We don’t have this possibility with the Service so the only way to locate and solve that is by replicating using NCSX. Unfortunately the logs didn’t reveal anything suspicious to me.

Thanks

Ok, 1.5.2 installed.

It’s not a reason for crashing but still many of your cameras are constantly in timeout (and therefore not working). Is there a reason for this ?

Yeah, I’m aware of that, one of our locations had an outage. It’s fixed now.

No crash since the upgrade, btw!