Slow camera FPS

Hello,

New user here, I have 2 Hikvision cameras streaming to NCS and I’m getting less than 5fps on each. I have previously used exactly the same server using another vendors product and have always received a good stream.

Server specs are:
Dual Xenon’s with 16 Logical Processors
112GB RAM
Windows Server 2016

Any ideas as to why the FPS is so low?

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.
We have a new license system based on how many FPS you want. So the more you pay the better FPS you get. Just kidding! :smile: I couldn´t resist!
With that hardware and server 2016 it should definitely be no problems with 2 cameras even if they are several MP.
-use only the NCS X Server.
-which version of NCS do you use?
-is it in the lower right corner you of the video you read the FPS?
-check the task manager how much cpu load you have and how much NCS use.
-make sure that for the client settings the FPS is set to high.

-which models are the cameras? Resolution is important.
-how do add them to NCS? with a template (network camera), onvif or custom url. If the two latter what is the URL?

We start with this,
-Henrik

Thanks for your quick reply. Haha!

I’ve disconnected the cameras from the old CCTV system and they are now only streaming directly to NCS

I’m using NCS 1.5.6.0

Yes the FPS is the embedded one in the bottom corner.

Total CPU load is about 15% with NCS using about 11% of this.

The client is set to the highest quality and quickest frame rate.

They are Hikvision cameras, DS-2CD2032-I

I tried ONVIF at first and used the auto detect and then tried changing it manually using the “network camera” tab. Using RTSP Main Stream

Sill showing a very poor frame rate :frowning:

Cheers!

Hi again,
The Hikvision are good cams, but they can be little bit tricky :slight_smile:

The camera deliver h.264 and mjpeg with a variable or constant bitrate (vbr or cbr) to save bandwidth on the network. In a similar case the camera was default set to vbr so when nothing much happened in the camera view the bitrate was low. So go into the configuration of the camera and check this setting.

If you connect with mjpeg (possible with onvif?) the bitrate and fps should be high.
I think the url for mjpeg is
Main Stream - http://Iuser:passw@PADDRESS/Streaming/Channels/1/picture
Extra Stream - http://Iuser:passw@PADDRESS/Streaming/Channels/2/picture
Set Stream type to MJPEG

-Henrik

Hmmm, so the bitrate is set to constant, on both the sub stream and main stream. What I have noticed is that on the main stream with the higher resolution, I can only use h264, on the sub stream I can select either h264 or MPEG.

When I change the stream in net cam studio to the substream, the fps raises to 20fps which is pretty good, but the resolution is poor. Could this be the issue?

The higher resolution usually only use h.264 to have better compression and lower bandwidth.
If you connect only one camera what happens to FPS?
As usual there are different information about cams, but for this 3MP cam test with Custom URL,
Set stream type to RTSP_TCP
Address:
rtsp://user:pwd@ip:554//Streaming/Channels/1
or
rtsp://user:pwd@ip:554//Streaming/Channels/101
or
rtsp://user:pwd@ip:554/live.sdp

-Henrik

Using the custom URL and turning the other camera off I’m getting about 5-7fps so about the same really :frowning:

Really can’t work this out haha, everything is on 1Gbs switches, server says receive is only 25Mbs so still have plenty of bandwidth available.

Ha ha, the only I have just now is to uninstall ncs and remove whsts in programdata-moonware and programfiles- netcamstudio to make a clean installation. Install again. This is very strange!

Try the same urls you have in netcam studio in VLC and compare the FPS.

Normally they should be very similar.

Maybe your “other” softwares were using different urls, in which case you need to figure them out to use the same ones in Netcam Studio and in VLC to compare with the ones we use.

Still interested in NCS or is our other product to your satisfaction? I have the solution for you.
-Henrik