Recordings being in green monochrome - bright light generates recordings

Its a Wansview -2 and connected with a custom URL. Sometimes it works fine for a few days then switches to green and then back again for later recordings. I also have an occasional issue where ghost images are left as a recording proceeds, with several cars or people (all the same one(s)) being left behind.

I only have one of these cameras.

the live video is always OK

also the thumbnails are never green

If it is connected with wifi most likely the signal strength is to low. Test with cable.
In custom url use rtsp_tcp since that use error correction.

The url I use is:

rtsp://admin:password%24@192.168.0.142/live/ch0
I replaced (as suggested) with:
rtsp_tcp://admin:password%24@192.168.0.142/live/ch0

but that stopped the reception

The wifi is very strong and I never have any dropouts or greening in the live video. Wiring it is impractical in its current location.

I misunderstood your rtsp_tcp suggestion and have now selected that in the dropdown. I will let you know if that fixes it. It may be a while. It looks OK on the 1st recording.

thanks
Frank

Hi Henrik,
another 20 recordings today and no green ones.
looking good
Thanks
Frank

Hi,
Good news. However, it should not be that bad with rtsp_udp. I recommend you to check the firmware in the camera. If it is old update to latest. If the firmware is up-to-date install the firmware again. That can help sometimes.
-Henrik

Hi Henrik,
It didn’t fix the problem. All the recordings were OK up till this one and subsequently they are all green

I stopped the program and restarted and it fixed it temporarily but it keeps reoccuring

regards
Frank

Do you have access to the firmware for Wansview W2?

No. That´s on Wansviews site.
Just to be on the safe side do a clean installation of NCS How to make a clean installation of Netcam Studio - #2

Henrik,

Did the clean install, seems OK at the moment after 12 hours or so,
I’ll update in a few days to let you know if it re occurs.
thanks
Frank

Hi Henrik, no further problems with green screen since clean install. It’s also fixed a ghosting issue where images left trails of objects in their wake
Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the feedback.
Excellent news! I am happy it was the part that was easy to fix :blush:
-Henrik

Hi Henrik,

You helped me previously with fixing my green screen problem, (I did a clean install) however I now have a new problem where the recordings flip from dark to light. It is not so much a problem in daytime, but at night it causes hundreds of recording clips each night, see below. When I look at the live feed it is not happening. Any ideas?

Kind regards

Frank

Hi Frank,
The basic problem is the rather intense lamp that you have on the right hand side in the camera view. Best is if you can either move the lamp or rotate the camera. NCS do not have any built in function that will change like that so most likely it is a camera aperture that changes. When that changes NCS motion detection algorithm reacts for that since it will be a difference between frames which triggers the motion detection system and start the recording. There are a couple of ways that you can test which works best to avoid this:
-as I mentioned earlier best would be to remove the lamp from the camera field of view.
-in the configuration of the motion detection you can select Motion Algorithm. Frame Difference is default. Test the other ones.
-also in that configuration you can enable Signal Bar Position. From that signal bar you can see when motion detection is triggered. Is´a good tool to understand what´s going on.
-also in the configuration you have Detection Zones. There you can block the lamp. NCS will not see whats happening in the blocked area and not use that for motion detection.

-Henrik

Hi Henrik,

I’ve just looked at the live feed on my phone and discovered that it has the same problem. I’ll reboot the camera tomorrow when it stops raining. But it is definitely not Netcam. Sorry to have bothered you

regards
Frank

1 Like

Hi Henrik,
rebooted the camera and the problem is fixed, Wasn’t Netcam.
thanks
Frank

Hi Henrik,

a problem that has surfaced recently is that Netcam stops seeing my Wansview (W2) camera. It stops working and I get the red screen saying failed to connect. If I shut down Netcam and restart (going through the code) it is then Ok for another day or so.

The camera keeps working through my Wansview phone APP so it is not a camera reboot issue.

Any ideas?

kind regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
App and Netcam Studio do not use the same communication protocol. Rtsp protocol is more sensitive for interruptions. If connection is lost with a camera NCS tries to connect again every two seconds until it works or not. Check if it is a wifi problem. Also reinstall firmware in the camera. That usually helps. If you don´t use audio switch to mjpeg if the camera can deliver that.
-Henrik

Hi Henrik,
recent issue is that my camera freezes and the recordings stop. If I go back to edit video
source and just hit the tick without changing the settings it recovers. Sometimes it takes a few goes, perhaps flipping between RTSP_TCP and RTSP_HTTP, either seems to work. Last night when the last recording registered it was just before midnight. Are there automatic actions in Windows that can disrupt the datastream, and even so why doesn’t it just retry like I do manually?

thanks for all your previous help
kind regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
Windows updates can certainly play some tricks on us, but that usually is noticed when NCS restarts.

When NCS do not show a video stream or it is frozen it usually depends on two things:
-lost connection to camera via LAN or wifi. NCS try to reconnect and when LAN or wifi is back again the streaming cintinous. Look in the Event Viewer where the reconnection is listed.
-corrupt data stream. When the camera is connected to NCS with the rtsp protocol to get video and audio the signal is compressed (encoded) with the h.264 (or h.265) algorithm. In NCS this data stream is decoded to video and audio and is shown as a streaming video. When that data stream gets corrupt for some reason the decoder cannot work anymore and the video stops. To get this to work again the encoding/decoding must be reset by disconnect/connect the camera or reboot the camera.
Test to switch data stream between rtsp_,tcp or rtsp_,udp if that solves the problem.
Upgrade firmware in camera and improve wifi signal strength usually helps.

If audio is not necessary I recommend to switch to use the mjpeg data stream if the camera support that. Mjpeg is much less sensitive to data errors. It use a little bit more bandwidth, but that is usually not a problem.

–Henrik

Hi Henrik,

I suspect it was the last windows update as that also screwed up my printer scanners. While I was trying to fix the problem Microsoft sent me a new update “to fix some bugs” and miraculously the scanners worked.

I changed to rtsp_udp and it has held up OK since, so maybe that will be OK, if not I’ll try MJPEG

thanks
Frank