One out of four cameras stops sending a signal to web/mobile devices

One of my four cameras seems to “lock” on an image instead of streaming video. I’ve replaced the camera with another model that doesn’t have this issue, but this one camera continuously locks up. I’ve “repaired” the NetCam software and rebooted countless times.

Hi Carl,
Most likely not NCS then. “stops sending a signal to web/mobile devices”, is it working correct in NCS X?
I suggest you reset the camera to factory settings and start from scratch. You can also install the firmware again and see if that helps. What camera is it and how is it connected to NCS? Cable or WIFI? Check also the power supply to the camera so it is ok. How do you get the camera to stream again?
-Henrik

The camera was working in NCS.

I have reset the camera and reinstalled and re-configured it in NCS as you suggested.

It is a Logitech c270 connected via USB. I have an identical camera that is connected using USB that does not exhibit this problem. I have switched USB ports to see if one port was bad, but the same camera exhibited the problem on either USB port. This is after I had the exact same problem with a Logitech c525 connected via USB. The camera work in apps other than NCS, but “lock up” within 12-20 hours of NCS running. All other cameras, USB and wireless, work fine.

Aha, USB! NCS do not handle two USB cameras that use the same driver very well. The two c270 cameras have most likely the same driver and they will compete which one will run. This is a limitation in the .NET programming language. In these situations we recommend to work with the software WebcamXP that focus on USB cameras. Users have experimented with this (search for other post for c270 here in the forum) and it seems that for the c270 it use different drivers for USB 2 and USB 3. However, the best and stable solution is to use WebcamXP.
-Henrik

Nope. That’s not the problem. I have used a c525 instead of the c270 with the exact same problem.

If I go into NCS, right click on the “frozen” video, select “disconnect” and then re-enable it, it works again.

So it is just locking up in NCS.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Carl

Do you use 2 of c270 or 2 of c525 at the same time?
or
when it is problem only 1 c270 is connected and nothing else?
Do you use it on a laptop so the power saving can do some tricks?
I am using c270 in one system and it runs and runs …
Something with the driver I would say, but …
Do you have another computer to test on?
Sorry, but no more ideas
-Henrik.

Hi Henrik,

Responses inline:

Do you use 2 of c270 or 2 of c525 at the same time?

The problem first manifested itself when I used one c270 and one c525.
Switching to two c270s does not change the problem for better or for worse.

I have not tried using only one c270 for more than a few minutes. I can
try that.

Do you use it on a laptop so the power saving can do some tricks?

I am using a laptop, but have set it to always be on and never go to
sleep.

Do you have another computer to test on?

Yes. I could try another computer if there are no other obvious reasons
for one camera to freeze when none of the others do.

Thanks,

-Carl

Hi,

Here you have the problem as I see it. You have 2 usb cameras connected at the same time and most likely they use the same driver and therefore competing. Do the test with only 1 usb camera and I am certain it will work.

The trick is the to find drivers that are not the same for these 2 models. I will check if that is possible.

Do you have connectors for usb 2 and usb 3 on the laptop? Connect one cam to usb2 and one cam to usb3.
Do not connect via an extra hub! Connect directly to the laptop. Using a usb hub can also cause problems.

-Henrik

The problem first manifested itself when I used one c270 and one c525.
Switching to two c270s does not change the problem for better or for worse.

I have not tried using only one c270 for more than a few minutes. I can
try that.

Initial testing indicates that you are right about the driver causing the
problem.
. Any recommendations for an inexpensive camera of another brand?

IP camera or usb camera?

Henrik,

USB.

What do you think of this one?

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Link: http://a.co/d7CAG3h

Thanks,

-Carl

Hi,
I am certainly no expert on usb cams, but for me it looks ok. Most likely not the samer driver I hope :smiley:
Good luck!
Henrik

Henrik,

Well, I ordered it, so we’ll see what happens!

Thanks,

-Carl