Timelapse settings help

Can anyone explain the timelapse settings.
Have two cameras and would like to set up a timelapse for each of them.
First camera save a 30 minute timelapse video, capturing every minute.
Second camera save a 15 minute timelapse video, capturing every 2 minutes

In the timelapse settings, what would I put in for the following settings?

Frame interval (input)
Frame interval unit
frame duration (output)
frame duation unit
Frames encoded

Im really struggling to get this to work, Thought it would create a number of small videos based on my times above, really must be doing something wrong.
It just creates one long single file.

Would prefer to be able to capture and view images every five minutes, rather than a video sometimes.
But do not see that option anywhere.

The general definition of timelapse is the taking of one picture at set intervals. There is timelapse stitching software out there that might help you.

Not sure I need or can be bothered to use that stitching software.
The netcam server timelapse just creates one large file. I thought it might create a number of files, based the frame duration output.

In NCS, you have choice between either keeping individual images (output JPEG) or just a movie (output AVI) matching the parameters.

To take one image every minute, the frame interval will be 1 minute, 2 minutes for 2 minutes.

The frame duration on the other end defines how fast it will be displayed (remain displayed) in the output movie when AVI is selected.

If it’s set to 1 second, then your 30 minutes movie (made of 30 frames) will playback in 30 seconds, displaying 1 frame per second.

After reviewing the Timelapse settings, I have concluded that they don’t meet my ideal user story.

What I’d like is:
For one source, I want the software to take a snapshot image every x seconds so that at the end of each day I have a movie.

Instead, I have each source generating an image every x seconds, and each morning I run a PowerShell script that uses ffmpeg to create a timelapse movie. It’s not ideal, but it works for now.

Netcam Studio developers, can I ask that you consider the way Timelapse is managed?

1 Like

Hi,
For one source: can do today.
take a snapshot image every x seconds: can do today
at the end of each day I have a movie: there is the scheduler, but the question is what happens between 23:59 and 00:00. If Timelaps stops and start again it will work, but if it just continuous that movie will be very long.
I was looking at the Rule Manager, but I don´t see it will work with that either. Probably another function is necessary. If you have many cameras running ffmpeg do a lot already. I add your suggestion to the list of new functions, but I actually think your solution is a very good one.
Maybe you can share your solution here? :wink:
-Henrik

I shall do so - I will tweak the PowerShell scripts and put them on github then link to the repository.

I’ll test the results of the scripts for a week first and tweak them. I’d ideally like to iterate through a collection of sources first, but we’ll see if I can find the time to code that.

1 Like

Solution shared! Feedback welcome!

Here’s an automatically generated video from when the wildfires were really bad here:

1 Like

Hi Dean,
Excellent work and thank you very much for sharing this. The solution is here

Thanks,
Henrik