Avast ver. 17 and WebcamXP

Has anyone had a problem with getting WebcamXP to run after updating to the new (02/07/17) Avast anti-virus program ver 17?

Hi,
WebcamXP do not start or what happens? Can you in Avast set an exeption for webcamxp?
-Henrik

It just does not start. No error messages from WebcamXP or Avast. If I uninstall Avast 17, WebcamXP will start and run as normal.
I can not find anywhere in Avast 17 to allow an exceptiom for WebcamXP, (or any other program). I have used both WebcamXP and Avast (Version 12) together for years without any problems.

Hi,
I installed Free Avast 17 on Win10 Pro and by default WebcamXP/7 is blocked. Netcam Studio works. However, you can make an exclusion for programs in the Settinsg as shown below. After exclusion WebcamXP/7 runs. Antivirus companies have a white list with approved software. We need to update thst list at Avast.
Thanks,
-Henrik

THANK you! I included WebcamXP in the Avast 17 Exclusions List and WebcamXP ran as it always has. I really should have seen the “Exclusions” in the Settings List, but missed it, panic I guess.

BTW, have you ever considered a Linux version of WebcamXP/7? With all of the “extra” stuff that keeps coming with Windows I have installed Linux Ubuntu on one PC and like it a lot.

Excellent!
Linux Ubuntu have really developed a lot during the last couple of years especially when it comes to user friendliness ;). I am my self running several Ubuntu servers with different types of open source software and it is definitely good and secure and I am really amazed how good a lot of that software is when it is originally developed by enthusiasts. However, Linux is far from the friendliness that is needed for a software in the consumer business like NCS. I agree that Windows 10 comes with a lot of extra stuff and has expanded, but in my opinion it also has a dramatic increased stability from earlier OS. Also, developing and supporting two OS platforms takes a lot of resources. Running a commercial business need also some income :wink: and therefore Windows is the platform. But, never say never ;).

Thanks for the input and keep up exploring Linux Ubuntu since it has its advantages. I will certainly continue and use it in favorable applications and user environments.

Good luck,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your position on a Linux version of WebcamXP. if you have not already done so, you may want to check out “WINE” I understand it is a way of running Windows based programs on Linux/Ubuntu. I do not have any experience with it, just that I have seen it mentioned in some online discussions more then once.

Thanks again,
Dave