Compression Causes recording to fail for very high resolution cameras - tests and results

I am using a hikivision 4mp camera over Ethernet. If I set the compression to anything over the minimal, the recording will be laggy, and If i set it to max, a 2min long video will end up playing back for only 8seconds with jumps everywhere.

Motion detection is not on. I have an i5 6300HQ processor as well. Is there a known fix for this?

Corey

Hi Corey,

I have just bought a hikvision 4mp camera and started experimenting. You are correct in your observations. I run my tests on a laptop with a dual core i3-2330M, 2.2GHz.
1.Resolution 4mp, 2688x1520. Record in 10 fps and with Ultra fast. Result in a CPU load of about 40-50%. Recorded video is fine.
2.Resolution 4mp, 2688x1520. Record in 10 fps and with Fast. Result in a CPU load of about 35%. Recorded video is jumping and irregular.
Problem is not the CPU. The ffmpeg codec need more power (more threads) to work with this very high resolution camera.

Solution
In Settings -> Decoding/Encoding enable Multi Threading for encoding and decoding. This is a licensed feature. This results in:
4.Resolution 4mp, 2688x1520. Record in 10 fps and with Ultra fast. Result in a CPU load of about 90%. Recorded video is fine.
5.Resolution 4mp, 2688x1520. Record in 10 fps and with Fast. Result in a CPU load of about 95%. Recorded video is fine.

For a non-licensed software where Multi Threading is disabled, decrease the resolution of the camera. In my case I decreased resolution to 1920x1080p with the following result:
6.Resolution 1920x1080p. Record in 10 fps and with Ultra fast. Result in a CPU load of about 40-50%. Recorded video is fine.
7.Resolution 1920x1080p. Record in 10 fps and with Fast. Result in a CPU load of about 50%. Recorded video fine.

Summary
For handling very high resolution cameras a licensed NCS is recommended or decrease resolution of the camera for a non-licensed software.

-Henrik
@Steve

2 Likes

Awesome! I am glad you were able to recreate the issue. I will be having 9 more cameras coming (in addition to the one I have now) and I will purchase the full version to give it a shot.

Thank you again,
Corey

Hi Corey and thanks!
Ten 4mp cameras running in full resolution will certainly be a challenge! I am not sure that the i5 6300HQ will be enough.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Good luck and regards,
Henrik

Hey Henrik, I am actually going to be getting a different computer to do all of that. It’ll be a 4core i7 and I’ll be using a western digital Gold drive, should be able to run it. I’ll let you know when I get it all setup and running.

Out of interest, what bandwidth does that setup require? Is a single 1G NIC enough to handle 10 streams @4K?

Hi,
Yes it is, but you need a 1G NIC and backbone. It do not use that much bandwidth if the cams are configured for h.264. Also, usually one can configure the cameras for different bitrates. I am not a big fan of wifi in these systems and especially not at 4k cams. The limiting factor will be the processor.
-Henrik

1 Like