ONVIF over VLAN

I decided to upgrade my home network a few months ago. In doing so, I have successfully setup separate VLANs for all of my IOT devices which includes several IP cameras and a laptop with Netcam Studio installed that operates as an NVR. I have been using Netcam Studio successfully for quite a few years, but since I have moved equipment to VLANs I am starting to get some screwy things happening with only my IP cameras and the ability to connect and record from them. My setup:

Laptop with Netcam Studio on VLAN3 on subnet 10.0.3.x
Amcrest IP cameras on VLAN3 on subnet 10.0.3.x

ONVIF is enabled for all devices. I can access every device via the laptop AND my administrative VLAN with no problems. Every IP camera has all necessary ports forwarded and I can video from outside my network.

I can NOT get ONVIF discovery to work in Netcam Studio every since I put them on a VLAN. The devices show up in the LAN search, but they will not show up in the ONVIF search. All packets within VLAN3 are allowed via router firewall permissions.

When I setup each camera via NETWORK CAMERA tab, I can’t get full resolution from the cameras to show. I only have one stream active for each camera, but Netcam Studio limits the resolution to 640x480. To get around this for the time being, I have set up a Custom URL utilizing the RTSP stream type. The video comes up and I am able to record, but several hours later the image is frozen and it’s clear that something is stopping the video feed. I have not had this issue when I’ve used the ONVIF discovery feature prior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just as a friendly request, please don’t recommend removing VLANs. They are part of my security strategies at home and they must stay.

I am not sure about limitations on ONVIF for a VLAN. However, from earlier you should have the discovery URL. In the ONVIF tab and top field enter that discovery URL with the actual IP number. Add credential and click on Get Profiles. Hopefully it will work.

If ONVIF tab do not work as above use the tab for Custom URL:
Set stream type to rtsp_tcp
Address to:
rtsp://username:password@IPaddress:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
Subtype is 0 or 1 depending on resolution. If you login to the camera you can probably setup what resolution 0 and 1 should be.

-Henrik

ONVIF definitely does not work although the subnet is shown correctly for the devices.

As I described earlier, if I use the Custom URL, the feed does show, but it freezes after a few minutes and is inoperative. Is there any reason why the camera list isn’t more robust? When I had used that previously, there were no issues obtaining feeds at native resolution.

Do you know if ONVIF uses specific protocol and/or ports? Apparently it’s not easy to find this information via searches. I thought ONVIF was an RTSP protocol.

For the Amcrest in the Network camera tab you can select between main and substream which is 0 and 1. Sub stream is probably the low resolution.
Camera list is only for old cameras since new cameras use ONVIF.
ONVIF is a standard and not a protocol. You can setup what different ONVIF Profiles are in the camera. It can be mjpeg, jpeg or rtsp depending on the camera.
ONVIF discovery use port 80 since that port usually is always open. The camera can then answer with another port and the final URL is shown in field 1.
Download ONVIF Device Manager and connect to the cameras. There you have all info.
If the rtsp feed freezes when running on VLAN, but was ok before change well something is limiting. I have no experience running video over VLAN.

The ODM software was super helpful. Having effectively a one stop shop to configure the cameras is a heck of a lot easier.

I definitely do not want to use sub-stream because it defeats the purpose of recording the video in the first place. I need the high resolution in order for surveillance to be practical and useful.

Thank you for the clarification on ONVIF as a standard and what port it uses. Since I customized all of the ports to add another layer of security, I can at least understand if my firewall was blocking access (which it is not).

RE: VLAN. There should be no issue with the cameras or software operating in a VLAN because the devices are assigned an IP under an isolated subnet by the router. Since all of the devices that need to communicate with each other are on the same subnet, I wouldn’t know what would be creating this problem. My biggest question is why there isn’t a full list of Amcrest cameras in Netcam like there was before. Only one is listed and I think that is why I am having this issue. Did Netcam drop support for Amcrest altogether?