Centralized Surveillance System

Hello guys

I’m interested to use the Surveillance System by Netcam studio in my company , but I want to make sure of something, it’s the the reversved operation , the company I’m working for is 300 branch around the world and the system we are seeking is to have is a centralized Surveillance System , which allow us to make the clients are the branches and the server is the headquarter , I noticed ( correct me If I’m wrong please ) that the system here is based on having server which directly connected to the Cameras , and the clients are able to view this server Cameras , in my case I need to have a central server for viewing and the clients are the Pcs in the branches (having a webcam or Ip Cam connected to this pcs ) , without having a VPN network and having only one static IP for the server and connect all the clients to this server and the server are able to view all the cameras connected to the clients devices
is that possible with netcam studio
thanks a lot

Hi Ammar,

This is certainly a challenge and an interesting project. This can be solved, but it is important to understand how these things works and especially working with cameras and video. First I will give some general remarks for better understanding and finally a suggestions for a solution.

-cameras and the video they generate use a lot of bandwidth (Mbit/s) on the network.
-the connection between the cameras and the PC running Netcam Studio (NCS) must be on the local network LAN.
-storage of the videos from motion detection or continuously recording can be on the same PC as is running NCs or on another storage device on the local network.
-the local network LAN should have a capacity of at least 100 Mbit/s. I would prefer 1 Gbit/s if you have many cameras since you probably also have other computers, printers etc on the same network.
-if you are using USB cameras and connect them directly to the PC running NCS then the above discussion about network speed is not necessary. I would strongly recommend using IP cameras for better result. Also, there are limitations when using several USB cameras.
-how powerful PC you need, primarily processor and RAM, is determined by the number of cameras and the resolution of each camera. Cameras with high resolution like 1080p or 720p are quite low cost today, but they use a lot of computer power.

So on each local office/branch you will have cameras and NCS running on a PC and storage. All connected on the same local network LAN. On each local office you have a router connected to the Internet. The public IP on the WAN can be a dynamic IP which is most common. That is not a problem. The connection speed to the Internet is of cause important and is determined on how many cameras you want to transmit simultaneously to the headquarter plus the other office traffic you have.

Between each local office (LO) and the headquarter (HQ) you use the regular Internet without a VPN. This is not a problem either, but you may need to think a little bit more about security depending on what the video streams contain. The router at HQ have a static public IP which is good and makes it more secure. The connection speed to the Internet is also here dependent on how many cameras you want to see at the same time plus other office traffic to the Internet.

Now we are on the HQ and here is the big challenge. Here you will be able to look at all the cameras. The solution her will depend very much on how many cameras it is on each local office and in total. Also important is how you will look at the cameras. Is someone going to look at the cameras continuously 24/7 or just look at the cameras now and then. You say that you 300 local offices around the world and that tells me that it is at least 300 cameras which is a lot. Looking at these cameras at the same time will not be possible unless you have several Gbit/s lines to Internet, maybe. Depending on how you are going to work at HQ with this cameras from each LO there are different solutions. In general connecting to each LO with a web browser and watching using the web client is a good solution since it very little bandwidth. With the web client you can do the everyday job with watching, searching, downloading etc from each LO. The other solution is to use the windows client on the PC on the HQ, but that depends also on how many cameras and how you are going to work.

For maintenance of the the cameras, NCS and PC running on each local office I recommend using TeamViewer or equivalent remote controlling software.

Well, I think I stop there. As I started off with this is certainly a challenge and to really make this work it is necessary to know much more especially on how you will work with this at HQ. However, I hope I have given you a start in this and maybe also one have to think about if this is the the best way of doing it? If you need more assistance I am glad to help and you know where to find me ;).

Good luck and best regards,
Henrik

Fitrst of All thanks a lot for your quick answer and Amazing understanding ,
you mentioned so Important points and I’m sending this reply I hope it could clear all the points

I wrote down your points and my answers :

-cameras and the video they generate use a lot of bandwidth (Mbit/s) on the network.
-the connection between the cameras and the PC running Netcam Studio (NCS) must be on the local network LAN.
-storage of the videos from motion detection or continuously recording can be on the same PC as is running NCs or on another storage device on the local network.
-the local network LAN should have a capacity of at least 100 Mbit/s. I would prefer 1 Gbit/s if you have many cameras since you probably also have other computers, printers etc on the same network.
-if you are using USB cameras and connect them directly to the PC running NCS then the above discussion about network speed is not necessary. I would strongly recommend using IP cameras for better result. Also, there are limitations when using several USB cameras.
-how powerful PC you need, primarily processor and RAM, is determined by the number of cameras and the resolution of each camera. Cameras with high resolution like 1080p or 720p are quite low cost today, but they use a lot of computer power.

Cameras with Netcam PC is in the same Local network , the network infrastructure is different between branches so we might use IP Cameras for some and USB cameras for some ( that could make us Flexible in the case of having low network circumstances in some branches , so we are opened to use both IP and USB cameras )
having the high resolution cameras is not the priority for us , but sure It might be a priority in some branches ( specially the big branches which Already have a good network infrastructure )
So on each local office/branch you will have cameras and NCS running on a PC and storage. All connected on the same local network LAN. On each local office you have a router connected to the Internet. The public IP on the WAN can be a dynamic IP which is most common. That is not a problem. The connection speed to the Internet is of cause important and is determined on how many cameras you want to transmit simultaneously to the headquarter plus the other office traffic you have.
The connection speed and stability is an issue in some Branches , and we might have some difficulties with that in some branches but knowing the fact that the we will use in this branches ( which have poor connection ) only one camera , and knowing the fact that the goal of this this system is not watching the Cams simultaneously , but being able to watch each branch when needed , and the most priority is having an access to the Library and that is the most common case because of the time deference ( as we based in Tokyo and other branches in the rest of the world ) so the most cases is checking archive and the less case is watching live streaming but It’s still required
Between each local office (LO) and the headquarter (HQ) you use the regular Internet without a VPN. This is not a problem either, but you may need to think a little bit more about security depending on what the video streams contain. The router at HQ have a static public IP which is good and makes it more secure. The connection speed to the Internet is also here dependent on how many cameras you want to see at the same time plus other office traffic to the Internet.
Actually we have our VPN network between the Branches and head quarter but we want to run this system separately from our accounting and other systems
about the security, it’s sure concern , and I want to know if possible about which level of encryption Netcam studio work with , and since we are working with a web service provided by Netcam I think the security should be guaranteed by Netcam 
Now we are on the HQ and here is the big challenge. Here you will be able to look at all the cameras. The solution here will depend very much on how many cameras it is on each local office and in total. Also important is how you will look at the cameras. Is someone going to look at the cameras continuously 24/7 or just look at the cameras now and then. You say that you 300 local offices around the world and that tells me that it is at least 300 cameras which is a lot. Looking at these cameras at the same time will not be possible unless you have several Gbit/s lines to Internet, maybe. Depending on how you are going to work at HQ with this cameras from each LO there are different solutions. In general connecting to each LO with a web browser and watching using the web client is a good solution since it very little bandwidth. With the web client you can do the everyday job with watching, searching, downloading etc from each LO. The other solution is to use the windows client on the PC on the HQ, but that depends also on how many cameras and how you are going to work.
I think I’v answered this with my previous points I mentioned, the priority in the HQ is having the ability to access the cameras any time , and It’s totally not necessary to view all the cams in the same time , It’s actually not a real time monitoring system it’s Just in case of accidents happened or in case of the desire of watching live stream for any branch any time we want ,
It’s preferred to have the windows agent , we wat the view to be user friendly as much as possible like few click less typing and we got what we want .
For maintenance of the the cameras, NCS and PC running on each local office I recommend using TeamViewer or equivalent remote controlling software.
we have the tools to Access the branches remotely :wink:

cheers and have a good day

Hi again!
Thanks for your answers and picture which clarified a lot. Very interesting! To summarize I think one can divide the solution in two groups. One where the connection is stable and good and one where the bandwidth is lower and not so stable. Very important is also that you will look at the cams/Library only when needed.

For the security part use VPN as much as possible. Then I mean VPN as router-to-router so NCS is addressed with a LAN IP. For example I have 4 locations in Brazil connected with VPN and running NCS and it works excellent. Network in Brazil is not that stable all the time. Even at the locations with not so good connection you can connect a VPN (computer to router) when needed. So think about that again. The other solution is running NCS on https. There is a guide for that in the forum. You can test with a self assigned certificate, but maybe in a permanent solution you should buy a certificate.

Web or windows client. I would not throw out the web client just yet :slight_smile: It might be a good solution where the connection is not of the best quality.

Well, “just do it” as someone famous sad :slight_smile:

-Henrik

Mr. Henrik
thanks a lot for the help and information , so can we say that this system could be covered by Netcam , If though I think I need to talk about details and other cases , like which cameras we should by , and the other issues .

Yes, with the information I have so far NCS should work for this. However, since this is such a big project I recommend you to set up some test installations that are representative for the whole project. One to an office with a slower communication, one to an office with the best situation, one …
I suggest we continue in a private forum since we will discuss details. When everything is finished we can come back to this open forum and summarize the project.
I will send you a PM where we can continue the more detailed discussion.
-Henrik

This is what NCS can do (today) and how it’s recommended to work with multiple locations:

Each location runs its own Netcam Studio, cameras are not directly accessible over internet (LAN only) but Netcam Studio is reachable over Internet.

From there it’s easy to have a centralized interface. In my example above it’s screenshots of the mobile app because it’s the one at this stage that allows having more than 1 instance and to easily switch from one to another.

Such mechanism could be added either in the Web Client or in a custom client made specifically for you (by us or by any web developer/company).

There are other possibilities but this is standard, scalable.

Then maintenance and configuration, yes the best is to have RDP or TeamViewer access when needed but for accessing the streams and the library/recording (The most basic use case for NCS) then going through a centralized web interface is how it’s designed to work.