Google Drive Synchronization - Issue

Google Drive Synchronization is not working correctly. My Google drive fills and becomes full, I have 1TB of storage. I have the NCS library set to limit at 500GB. The process is not deleting items in Google Drive to stay in synch. At this point it’s acting as a simple copy until the drive is full.

Hi,
This have been discussed before and I assumed solved. However, I can check in my system.
-Henrik

Please let me know. I have had this issue since I set it up. About once a week I have to go into Google Drive, delete old folders in order to free up space. I was afraid your synchronization was a simple copy and didn’t actually delete old data in Google Drive.

Thank you,

Russ

I have tested and it works like a backup and not deleting recordings according to the Library manager in NCS. I have to check the intentions of this, but introducing and deletion process at this point would not be such a good idea.
-Henrik

Henrik,

“introducing and deletion process at this point would not be such a good idea.” - I don’t understand this comment.

If the functionality is not correct and the sync is not working as it should; adding a delete process ASAP to correct the sync WOULD be a great idea.

Yes, I can agree that is sounds a little bit strange. However, first is if the intention is to also include Goggle Drive in the deletion process or if it is for a backup. Secondly, just introduce a deletion process is actually not a good idea since it might be many user who use it as a backup. Suddenly these files are deleted. I would not be so happy about if that happened. So if changed we need to take this a step further.
Regards,
Henrik

Strange? No, it sounds wrong. Synchronization is clearly by definition both drives containing the same information. When something is expires or is deleted from the library; it will be deleted from the synchronous copy. Backup is entirely different having its own characteristics and ability to delete expired content. Even backup processes delete expired content based on the retention schedule.

How about adding a Backup function? Correct the synchronization issues; The copy is working fine but there needs to be a way to remove deleted expired content.

Maybe that is something for version 2.0?..

1 Like

Any update on the synchronization? My Google Drive keeps filling up and videos that have been removed from the library are not deleting from my online synch folder. This is causing an issue with the other files I have also sent to Google Drive; my local files are not being updated online and my data is at risk.

It’s in the process.
-Henrik

Checking again. Any update on correcting the synchronization issue? As local drive library items are deleted, they are not removed from the online synchronized copy.

Sorry, but have to ask. There are quite a few of us that cannot connect to Google Drive due to security issues. Can you connect with no problems?
-Henrik

I connect just fine.

Hm, very interesting. I would appreciate if you can answer some questions
-what Windows version are you running?
-NCS version?
-what browser do you have installed?
-Google have this two-stage login method. Do you use that?
-have you recently logged out/in to Google Drive?

Thanks,
Henrik

I recently moved to a new system so this is a Dell installation of Windows and updated to latest. I had a few issues especially with Google email connecting to Outlook 2019, more below.

Windows 10 Pro

10.0.18363 Build 18363

NCS 1.91 (latest)

Firefox, IE and Chrome. I primarily use Firefox

Google

• I don’t use the two-factor authentication.
  • For email I had to select use less secure app access
    • Manage user account>security>Less Secure App Access
      • I had to allow this I believe (it shows off now) to get Outlook connected.

Just set up new system and using my old files seems like NCS wasn’t running right but Google Drive was fine.

• Uninstalled NCS and deleted everything in program date (kept lic file)
  • Reinstall NCS and added cameras and update all settings
  • Logged into google drive no problem.

It works a little better.

1 Like