Motion Detection Trig Duration

I’ve been using Netcam Studio since April. Everything has been working well but recently decided to go deeper into the config for motion detection.

I apologize if this has already been addressed in a previous tread but I have read many of the motion related treads & the manual quite a few times this past week.

From what I can tell, it does seems that the BlobDecection works best for my environment.

If I’m understanding all that I’ve read correctly, setting the Trig Duration to 0 should cause the recording to continue until Motion is no longer detected. I have set this to 0 but have the recording is ending while there an object is still in motion, Am I misunderstanding the setting or is there something else that I’m missing?

System Information:
Windows 8.1
Server Version - 1.7.0.0 (64 Bit)
Client Versions - 1.7.0.0 (64 But)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Yes, BlobDetection seems to work well in many cases. Here you should find the answers Motion config question - #2 by Steve

There is a pre-trig-buffer with 50 frames about 2 sec. that always will be there.
Trig Duration = 0: after one trig, red indication in the bar graph, recording will start and stop immediately. File length will be these 50 frames and maybe what triggered. If the triggering is continuously with a constant red bar it will continue to record until there are no more trigger (motion). However, the last motion will probably not be recorded.

Trig Duration = 10: after 1 trig the recording will continue for 10 seconds. File will be 10 sec. plus 2 seconds from pre buffer. If there are more triggers (more motion detected) within these 10 seconds the recording will continue in 10 seconds after the last trig. So if there is a trig/motion after 5 seconds the recording will be about 5 + 10 sec. + 2 sec for pre-trigg = about 17 seconds long.

“I have set this to 0 but have the recording is ending while there an object is still in motion”. Moving objects is not the same as motion is detected and triggered. Look at the bar graph. If objects are moving the color can be yellow, orange or red. When it’s red motion is above value settings and recording starts or continues.

Best way to understand this is to connect a camera and test how it works.

-Henrik

Thanks for the reply.

When I purchased Netcam, I purchased the 16 camera licence, although, I currently only have 3 camera connected. I knew I would probably grow to somewhere between 6-10 cameras over time.

The link you provided is one that I looked at while doing some research. I’m pretty much trying to get to the same result that 3fingersalute was trying to get to in their opening post. “But isn’t it possible to have it simply record until the motion stops instead of just a set amount of time?” I had someone cut a chain that I had on a gate a few days ago. The recording that was created was 11 seconds long (at this time, I had the Trig Duration set to 10). From viewing the footage, I could tell that he was still in motion while the recording stopped. This is what made me want to revisit the settings.

To make sure that I’m understanding the pre-trig-buffer correctly…Let’s say motion is detected & continues for 5 seconds, the recording would be 7 seconds (5 seconds of motion + 2 seconds prior to motion). Is this correct? Seems pretty straight forward.

When I adjusted the Trig Duration to 0, I would have alot of 1 sec recordings. Does the pre-trig-buffer not apply when Trig Duration is set to 0?

You mentioned that “Moving objects is not the same as motion is detected and triggered. Look at the bar graph. If objects are moving the color can be yellow, orange or red. When it’s red motion is above value settings and recording starts or continues.” I get this because Motion Sensitivity, Detection Zones (which I do have applied & is working well), & Threshold (which I’ve been playing around with & haven’t discovered the “perfect” setting for my environment) would have an impact on this. I am displaying the Signal Bar at the Top Center of each camera frame.

Yesterday, I went to the outside near backdoor with my laptop where I have a camera pointed & messed around with the sensitivity settings (Trig Duration still set to 0). With each of the sensitivity setting I would get the same results, 1 second recordings. This brings up another question for me, When adjusting Sensitivity in the software does it actually adjust the sensitivity in the camera’s settings?From what I looked at, it does not appear so. If that’s is the case, should I also adjust Motion Sensitivity in the individual camera settings?

Thanks,

Richie

-To make sure that I’m understanding the pre-trig-buffer correctly…Let’s say motion is detected & continues for 5 seconds, the recording would be 7 seconds (5 seconds of motion + 2 seconds prior to motion). Is this correct?
–Yes, that is correct.

–What you do in NCS has nothing to do with the camera. From camera comes video and audio and nothing else unless you configure the camera for something else.

-It is 50 frames and that corresponds to a recording 2 sec of 25 fps. If that is changed 50 frames will be something else.

Motion detection depends on so many parameters and it is quite often difficult to isolated the situation to get the perfect settings. Users are quite often complaining about false alarms, but I rather have some false alarms that missing something.

I 100% agree with the “but I rather have some false alarms than missing something.” but in the case of the guy cutting my chain, I can’t help but to feel that I’m missing something.

Now, In the instance of the guy cutting my chain, I acknowledge that at that time, my Trig Duration was set to 10 seconds, so yes, it somewhat done as the settings allowed. But with the pre-trig-buffer, I should have got a 12 second recording…not the 11 second recording that was created. One second lost from a past recording, I can do nothing about & accept that. But I wanted to revisit the settings to prevent the same thing in future events. Based off what I’m experiencing… It seems that I’m going to have false alarms & still miss something.

Making sense?

Thanks,

Richie