Netcam Studio i5 vs i7

Hello

I am upgrading my surveillance system from a 2 cam to a 6 cam system (maybe 8 in a year) and upgrading from an Arm based QNAP which was sufficient but heavily loaded to a new system most probably running Netcam Studio with the following specs:

• i5 6600
  • 8GB DDR4
  • 2x 4TB WD Purple Raid 1 (Windows RAID)
  • 120GB Entry level SSD (For OS and applications)
  • Windows 10 x64 Pro

The cameras will all be Brickcoms recording at 2MP at 15FPS continuously. Motion detection isn’t going to be a thing as there are constant movement in the scenes and the areas are semi public, though I may experiment with motion detection if I can figure out how to make it work for the scenes.

What I would like to know, is how do these specs (particularly CPU) stand up to this and if switching to a i7 6700 instead would be worth it?
I already purchased everything but I’m returning the motherboard due to some error on my part and while I’m at it, I noticed that the 6700 has the same TDP of 65W as the 6600, but has Hyperthreading and an 8MB cache vs the 6MB cache, so I was wondering if I made a mistake with the 6600.

Hi Adam!
8 cams - 2MP - 15 FPS - motion detection is demanding. Both processors are quad core so that is good. I don´t think the other differences are crucial. RAM is good. RAID or not is more of security. 4TB depends on how long you want to store the videos.
-Henrik

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

500GB per camera suits me fine based on the current 2 cameras that I’ve been running for a year now.
The reason for my concern is that video transcoding is a highly threaded application, if I’m not mistaken, so I may be able to get something like a 30% performance improvement thanks to hyperthreading, if netcam studio is in line with synthetic benchmarks.

I did some testing and it seems that Hyper Threading has a huge benefit. I tested this on my workstation, which has an i7 920 @ 2.6Ghz and with a demanding stream of 30FPS on max quality and 2MP from 1 camera. With Hyper Threading I got 30% utilization when recording but without Hyper Threading I got 55% utilization.

Excellent! Yes, I was getting a little suspicious about that. Lately we have been testing different scenarios to reduce CPU load, but it seems that NCS as it is is very good at it´s job. In version 1.3.7 it is possible to use hardware decoding with DXVA2. If you are interested to test you can download the unofficial version here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2imt9ghqxwnwak/ncs-inst-x64.exe?dl=0

Thanks!
-Henrik

Thanks!
I installed it and tried it out with Hyperthreading, but didn’t notice a difference with 1.3.7, though I’m not sure if I configured it correctly.

Settings - Decoding/Encoding - Decoding Settings - Hardware_DXVA2. As you can see it´s also an option for QuickSync under development. I tested also DXVA2, but unfortunately with no wow-effect. The future will tell if there will be any more wow-effect ;).

Thanks. I did that and it only reduced my load by 2%, though My workstation has no integrated GPU and has a GTX 960, so maybe the hardware isn’t being used. Maybe a modern IGPU like on a Skylake may come into effect then.

When the integration with QuickSync is ready we will do a more systematic test of all the possibilities and what is needed when it comes to hardware. I hope that it will be within a month or two.
Thanks for your help and support!
-Henrik
@Steve

Unfortunately the DXVA2 hardware acceleration didn’t bring a huge improvement despite it was quite an effort to implement in the software.

Yes we are now working on QuickSync HW acceleration and hopefully the benefit will be bigger…

1 Like