Recommendation for motion settings?

Hi,

I was wondering if there were recommendations on motion sensitivity that would help me get rid of shadow fluctuations. Below is a sample video. I have tried increasing the threshold as high as 99, and as low as auto (zero), and the sensitivity is set to very low. During the summer I didn’t get the shadows, but with it being winter the sun stays lower in the sky and it creates tons of shadows from the trees. I know I may not be able to get it perfect, but even at very low and 99 it still triggers with every gust of wind and I would think there would be a way to turn down the sensitivity even more?

Dropbox - File Deleted

Thanks for any help or thoughts you can provide!

Hi,
Yes, this is really tricky. I cannot see the video below, but there are a couple of more things that you can test.
1.In configuration of the camera you have Detection Zones. If there are areas not of interest for motion detection you can block them for being part of the motion detection system.
2.The default Motion Algorithm is Frame Difference which is the most sensitive one. Test BackgroundModelling and BlobDetection if one of them gies a better result.
3.In the configuration menu of each camera you have View. If you set View to Motion there will be areas marked in Red where the algorithm triggers the motion detection which makes it more easy for the investigation.

Remember that you will also decrease the sensitivity for targets that you are looking for.

Good luck!
-Henrik

1 Like

Henrik,

Thanks for the response. I pasted the Dropbox link directly and the web site replaced it with a window that looked like it would allow it to stream, but it doesn’t. I added two dashes in front of the link so perhaps you can copy/paste it to view the video?

In response to your suggestions, I do have detection zones set. Unfortunately they coincide with the shadows from the trees!

I have tried Background Modeling and Blob Detection - it may have reduced the false alarms but if so it wasn’t noticeably better. I’ll experiment with them further.

One question on the threshold: for the bar that shows how much motion is being detected, there is a vertical gray bar that indicates the threshold. Even when I set the threshold to 99 that bar was still located in the same position. Should the placement of that vertical bar move left or right as you adjust threshold? And how come if I turn that up to 99 the slightest of motion still sets it off? At some point shouldn’t it be so high that no motion is enough to trigger it?

I’ll experiment with the other settings and report back if I find a magic combination that works.

Thanks!

Brian

Hi,
Thanks, I looked at the video and my best solution is to cut down the tree :smile: Seriously, this is one of the very difficult ones since the contrast between the frames shadow/sun are so big and they moves rather quickly. I have sort of the same problems with an indoor cameras where shadows on the wall triggers the motion detection. I have not been able to get rid of that completely without also canceling what I am looking for.

The vertical gray bar is fixed. it is the yellow and red color of the graph that will move differently. I think you can increase the value to 254. Some thoughts:
-can you increase the resolution of the cameras. That will actually make it less sensitive.
-the major problems seems to be when the shadows are playing around on the very light walking path. I assume that you would like to detect people so what happens if you block this area

-test to decrease the Motion Sensibility.
-I have never tested to change the Frame Interval, but test to increase that to 1000 or 2000 just to see what happens.

These situations are really tricky,
-Henrik

1 Like

Hello Henrik, I’ve been following these thread on tuning the motion detection.

I have a question about the 3rd bullet point where you mention areas marked in “Red” are where the algorithm triggers the motion detection… (in the most current version that I downloaded this week, it looks like this “Red” may have been changed to “Black” or am I misunderstanding the menu option. I have uploaded a screenshot of what I’m trying to verbalize. I hope that helps. I guess I’m just trying to understand if motion will be detected OR will motion be blocked in the area with the arrow pointing to it? Thanks in advance.

I

Hi,
Yes, my description might be a little cryptic :slight_smile:
-the red rectangle is added afterwards from a paint program just to show where motion detection can be blocked to minime false detection.
-in your drop down menu in the picture above you have selected View and Motion. When that is selected and you are looking on the live view of the camera any movement will be market with red. That indicates what is triggering motion detection and a recording will start. It is a very good tool if you have a lot of false detections. If you change Algorithm in motion det configuration you can also see how it affects what triggers motion detection and a recording starts.
-“Will motion be detected or …”. In that transparent area motion will be detected.

-Henrik

1 Like

Surely there must be also a way to enable continuous capturing till the motion stops. Other software can do this, but not with the functionality that this great software brings.

Not complaining, just curious. I prefer not to capture 60 second clips just for a bird flying past, but I can only seem to set a specific time limit once motion has been detected, unless it stops within the specified time limit, and then restarts.

a courier came today, the capture stopped 10 seconds after he arrived, and I didn’t get to see his delivery, or him leave.

Seems it shouldn’t be a task to determine if motion is still happening in order to continue recording, and once it stops, the 10 (or whatever timeframe specified) runs it’s course?

btw, thank you for this software. I hunted high and low for something I could simply stream to other devices. I almost pulled my hair out till I saw your software mentioned on a random forum. It’s perfect in every other way.

Cheers,
Damian.
( ps, please let it record till motion is not detected :slight_smile: )

Following this post. I find that recording stops mid-motion, then stars again, creating another file. Not a huge problem though :slight_smile:

I didn’t notice one directly after, but if it is the case, in future captures, I will specify that. In this case however, there didn’t appear to be one…

I don’t mind the idea of that either. I often user ffmpeg to join files anyway !

Here’s hoping :slight_smile:

Hi guys,
The process is that when motion is triggered there is a prebuffer of about 2 seconds (50 frames) and 10 seconds (trig duration is set to 10 seconds) of video recorded. In total about 12 seconds (usually 10 to 12 seconds) of video is stored.
-If within these 10 seconds a new motion detection is triggered another 10 seconds is added to the recording.
-It is important to know that even if it is motion in the camera view it do not necessarily trigger a motion detection depending on how the target moves and the settings.
-On the other end a motion is triggered if you have a bug flying by or spider web moving in close range to the camera. Or anything in the camera view that makes the intensity value between the pixels change to much or rapidly like a shadow.

Yes, this can be tricky to avoid false alarms, but still catch the important part.
-Henrik

1 Like