System not recording frame rate? not sure why

I have connected a couple of new cameras that I process from RTSP to a local RTMP server. I have added these cameras as h.264 cameras and the input correctly. The cameras show their 25fps and vary only a little. but when I have the system record the motion it is a very low frame rate visible. the file says it is recorded at 240fps when I look at it via ffprobe. im not sure why its not recording full rate.

Hi,
I am a little confused here. The camera deliver 25 fps. The recorded file for a motion is at 240 fps. You then write “im not sure why its not recording full rate.” ? A typo? Also where do you read these numbers. Play the recorded file with VLC and have a look
-Henrik

so it wasn’t a typo. I have a RTMP server that can control the inputs from my security system. it allows for some better control vs RTSP. I added that input to the MPEG-4 input and with every other system it reads and records the steady 25fps that the server reports. but if I try to record anything on Netcam Studio it is recording at the incorrect frame rate.

Interesting. I assume the Setting for recording fps is 25 fps? Connect camera with rtsp directly to NCS. What happens with recorded fps?
What happens if you change to 10 fps? You can also select constant or variable fps. Any difference?

if i connect the rtsp directly it works at about 13-18fps and that makes for a chunky video recording. i can accept that but i am not sure why its happening since i know the system could record the 25. I would love to pick the brain of the developer, because they use FFMpeg , and as far as recording it is simple to record a file directly at low impact to the the server that is a direct copy of the feeds coming from the rtsp or rtmp feed.

If the camera can deliver 25fps at a specific resolution and NCS only show 13-18fps I would say that the cpu is running at a high load. Check the Task manager for the total cpu load.
Yes, we use ffmpeg. Last fall we discussed this possibility and we decided it was better to optimize the whole chain to minimize cpu load etc. Overlays can be disabled and other parameters can be set for best performance.

CPU load is only 20-35% when active with 4 cameras. its a dedicated computer and has an i7. the reason i ask about ffmpeg is that while i am unsure all of the detailed mechanics of the motion detection, i know that a very very small cpu (RaspberryPi) can control and record upward of 10-15 streams at the same time if they don’t compress to mp4 but rather send the data to a ts file which is an easy flip to mp4 or just readable in VLC. i’m experimenting withe internal recording @mp4 but have not had time. average cpu load for these items on Rpi was under 20%. if you play with Rpi systems you know that is way lower than it should be. FFmpeg is the same across the board with how lean or complex it can tax a system. it was only an observation, and i admit i am ignorant of the details and complexity pf NCS. it was an idea in an effort to assist. i have the largest commercial version of the software, i’ve just had weird bugs where i did not expect them.

thanks, i’ll see if i can find a work around

1 Like

Hi,
On an old laptop with an i5-4200U it is running:

Recording at motion detection is 20fps. CPU load is between 80 and 95%.
Hardware acceleration is enabled as well as Multi-threading and Overlays are disabled.
This works very well and I am actually pleasantly surprised of the good behavior.
-Henrik