Unable to run Netcam Studio after win10 update

I was subjected to a Windows 10 update yesterday, since which time I am unable to run Netcam Studio X (Server). This is version 1.5.6.0.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling with no joy. The log is displayed as the system launches and then I receive a dialogue box which states: Netcam Studio failed to start: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

In the console log I note this:

followed later by another error which I can’t include because I can only include 1 image in the post.

PC platform is Dell Optiplex 755 with 4gb of memory.

Every worked fine until yesterday.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
I am running NCS 156 under this win 10 version and it woks fine

When you uninstalled NCS did you also deleted whats in the ProgramData>Moonware folder and ProgramFiles>Netcam Studio ? If not do the process again and install NCS from scratch. The new win10 includes some new security features that might not have detected NCS, but I am not sure.
-Henrik

I will try this Henrik, thanks.

Looking at error message, it says that there is some illegal character at very beginning of the the XML file, may be it got corrupted for any reason ? can you open it with IE or Edge (or Notepad ++ with XML plugin) and see if they complain too ?

Yes, and if it complains what to do? If it not complains what to do?
-Henrik

Just to check if it is a main file corruption or only one garbage character and if only on garbage then remove the character so he can have its full XML file working again with NCS without having to setup the whole things again.

And as a developer I also like to understand “why” things happen so checking inside the file itself may help

Seems to be related to the Moonware.Security.xml file so check the file, if needed uninstall / reinstall netcam studio and clear as well the C:\ProgramData\Moonware\Netcam Studio\Server folder (where this file is located in newer versions).

Thanks everyone, I deleted the Moonware and Netcam Studio directories and reinstalled. All seems to be working again.

Excellent! Back to normal again☺
-Henrik

Can confirm. Just had this issue, and the fix of deleting the Moonware directory worked.

Thanks!