Netcam studio crashing

Hi

Every day netcam studio x - x64 is crashing and provides an option to “send an error” report

in the box the details say:

Value cannot be null
Parameter name: image

the reason i become aware of it as the screens freeze on the mobile app.

i then login to the server and there is the “send error report” box open… so i click send report which it does, i then click OK and then i get another dialogue box open which says:

Netcan studio x has stopped working
windows can check online for a solution to the problem
then 2 buttons, check online or close the program

so i close the program and restart it… and then within 24 hours it will go through this whole process again

server details
quad core xeon
8 mb ram
windows 2008 server

Hi Mike,
One of those errors that seems to be local, but we don´t give up … yet ;). I am myself running server2008 on some machines and it is extremely stable I would say.
Did this crashing start recently with a windows update or? Have the server rebooted itself due to an update or a power failure or … When that happens NCS just ends and since it is open files things can happen. I see from our earlier discussion that you have only 2 cameras so if I was you I should do a new installation of NCS. Start the instillation program and use Remove. Then go to C:\ProgramData\Moonware\Netcam Studio and delete what´s in there. Go also to C:\Program Files and delete NetcamStudio folder. Now install NCS again.

If you have a lot of files in the Library you can save that file and copy it back again after the new installation or you can reindex the Library again from the Settings.

-Henrik

Hi

I have only had the cameras running for a couple of weeks and its been happening all the time on this server.

we have 4 cameras, and all 4 cameras were added to netcamstudio at the same time, but i did transfer the backup folders across from a previous installation…

so ill try and do a completely new install

thanks

Aha then I understand. Make a new installation. What you can move from another installation are these files

C:\ProgramData\Moonware\Netcam Studio\Server

You probably need to change the Library location.

I uninstalled completely, and manually removed any leftover folders, restarted server and then done a clean install but the problem still happens

here is dropbox link to the error screenshot: Dropbox - error.jpg - Simplify your life

Thanks for the picture. Something makes NCS to crash, so what can that be … ?
You say that you transferred from another installation/computer. Obviously, it worked there with no problem? What was that? Windows 10, … ?
Are the cameras running in Motion Detection or continuous recording or a mix of both?
Is VLC running correct? Since it is Server 2008 is Desktop Experience enabled?

Next time it crashes can you check the Event Niewer in Application or System if you get more information about why NCS crtashed.

We check the crash report in our end, but sometimes it is good to have more info.

-Henrik

Hi

previously i had it setup in win10, but it was only for an hour or so as the computer was not very powerful so i uninstalled

All 4 cameras running in motion detection

vlc seems to be running ok

desktop experience is enabled on 2008

here is the event log

Application: NetcamStudioX.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
Stack:
at .a.()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Thanks,
In the picture is says Framework 4.0
.NET Framework must be 4.6 or higher for NCS 1.6.0.
That might be the problem.

-Henrik

Hi

I installed latest version of .net however it keeps crashing still, not sure whats going on?

Check Framework version here. My server 2008 looks like this. I see that version 3.5 is missing. That is one of those basic features that should be enabled.

It is this Event ID 1026 with .NET Framework that is not setup or something is missing in server 2008. Searching on this error it gives several things that can be wrong. Search on that and test some of the suggestions.
-is it the same problem when running NCS as a service or running NCS X with the console?
-it can also be related to security. NCS is installed under admin account?

From the last error report I see that it seems to be the Motion Detection and Graphics which is the original:
-Value cannot be null
-Parameter name: image

Which Motion Detection Algorithm do you use? Change to another one and see if that works better.

-Henrik

Ok i installed 3.5

motion detection was using the default “frame”

i changed to background

ill wait and see

NCS is installed under an admin account.

I changed the motion detection to a couple of alternatives on all the cameras but its still crashing after about every 12 hours

Now I am really getting … :wink: I am really getting out of ideas here. Below are just some things.
I am trying to isolate the problem if still is MD that cause problems. Is it possible for you to run the cams in continuous recording? If I read the Error log again and a camera module seems to be involved as well. Is one of the cameras sending some strange stuff that do this? But this have been running on another machine and working fine?

Since this happens only about every 12h it must be a very specific state when this parameter problems occur or if something gets overloaded. A couple of stupid questions. Just make sure that you use the 64-bit version of NCS. You have 8 GB of RAM. Is other stuff running as well or is 8 GB for NCS, serer2008 and maybe some more. Because if RAM gets low if might crash.

We are rather many user running this now which makes me confused and I am myself running the same processor and server2008, but with 20 cams with no problems.

You have sent in the crash report so I hope @Steve can have a look at it.

I have had them all set to continuous record for approx 3 days now with no problems…

im going to try and reset all the cams back to their factory settings and give it another go

Good test! I follow with interest.

its still crashing :frowning:

Well well, lucky us then :angry: Did you send a crash report? I just like to know that it got through.
This time it crashed with continuous recording after 3-4 days? What do the Event Viewer say this time?

I took it off continuous recording as it seemed to be ok in that mode

yes i sent a crash report

Good. At least it is the same as last time. Unfortunately, I cannot do more now so @Steve must take over to investigate further.
-Henrik