Netcam Studio does not start - problems with KERNELBASE.dll

Hi.
I have been running NCS (64 bit) as a service on Win10 for about a year without any issues. A few weeks ago I was prompted to upgrade to a newer version, and since then it will not start. I have had it start Automatic (delayed start), but now it does not start at all. Trying to start the service manually gives the error message “Windows could not start the Netcom Studio Server (64-bit) service on Local Computer. Error 1064: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request.”
Trying to start the NCS Server yields nothing. I have tried reinstalling NCS but that makes no difference.

Please help. Thanks.

The new version need some new software to run.
.net framework 4.8
C++ visual
Check the download page at www.netcamstudio.com for links.
-Henrik

Thanks for very quick response. However, I already have all those packages installed.

Ok, that 1064 can be tricky sometimes. Have you done a clean installation?
-start installation program and select Remove.
-go to C:\ProgramData\Moonware\Netcam Studio\Server and delete all. If you have a licensed version copy Lic.dat to a safe place.
-install NCS again and copy back Lic.dat.
-start NCS.
-make sure it installs from an Admin account?
-download latest version 1.9.1.

-Henrik

Thanks again.
I just followed all the steps, until start NCS. UAC asks for permission to make changes, and then nothing happens.

Yes, admin account.

Hmm, I deleted the folder C:\ProgramData\Moonware\ and it did not show up again after reinstallation. (no lic.dat file to worry about, though)

Do you have an antivirus program running apart from Windows own?. I know that that has been an issue for some users.

No, only Windows Defender.

This has for some reason generated problems at startup:
-stop Netcam Studio.
-go to C:\Users\henrik\AppData\Local\Moonware (chnage henrik to your account) and delete all.
-go to C:\Users\henrik\AppData\Roaming\Moonware (chnage henrik to your account) and delete all.
-go to C:\Users\henrik\AppData\Roaming\Moonware Studios (chnage henrik to your account) and delete all.
-start NCS and …?

Thanks again for your support.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to try this until I get home again this evening.
I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hi again.

Just tried the above, except Moonware Studios is under Local, not Roaming. But it made no difference. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling NCS with the above folders empty, but still no difference.

Getting frustrated…

Yes, me also! Can you give me access to the computer?

Yes, I guess. How do I do that?

With Remote Assistant, I guess. When is a good time for that?

Mine did exactly this when I reinstalled ncs on new server. I used the existing license file (license.dat). When Henrik reset my license and I reactivated it on the new hardware the service started no probs :grinning::+1:

Thanks for the info. However, since my needs are limited I use it without a license.

Henrik, could the (lack of) license be the issue? I don’t need the extra features of the paid license, but if paying the 49 bucks solves my issue I’ll be happy to do so.

Sorry no. It should run perfectly without a license.

Trying to start Server gives two errors in Windows Event Viewer:

Application: NetcamStudioX.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(System.String, System.String, Boolean ByRef)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(System.String, System.String, System.String)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter…ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter…ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String)
at Moonware.Common.ProcessorUsage…ctor()
at Moonware.Controller.ClientController…ctor(DevExpress.XtraEditors.PanelControl, Moonware.Common.NetConfig)
at Moonware.Netcam.XtraConsole…ctor()
at .…ctor()
at ..()

and

Faulting application name: NetcamStudioX.exe, version: 1.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x5e430f5f
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.628, time stamp: 0xf96f12ee
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x2810
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5e7631257a289
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Netcam Studio - 64-bit\NetcamStudioX.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: eb99e169-9ae3-465e-876d-7f0f9b77f271
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hi,
Thanks for that info. Crash due to KERNELBASE.dll is a Windows problem and reinstalling Netcam Studio will not help. A search on the Internet gives solutions and to reinstall that dll file. Check that.
-Henrik

Ok, thanks.
sfc /scannow did find any errors, and despite many hits on kernelbase I could not find any working way of replacing or updating that file. I’ll just reinstall Windows, I guess.